Since Egypt qualified for the World Cup last October, Egyptians have been counting the days till the National Team plays Uruguay on June 15th. Everyone’s spirits have been high and anticipation is filling the country for what is sure to be a historic day. Meanwhile, as the day nears, we present you with 10 things you should know about Egypt’s triumphant return to the World Cup.
- Egypt is returning to the World Cup this summer after 28 years of not qualifying!
2. For the first time
in history, four Arab teams will participate in the 2018 World Cup. Go Middle East!
3.Saudi Arabia will play Russia for the opening match of the 2018 World Cup, which marks the first time in history that an Arab team will play the opening game.
4. This is the first time the Egyptian team will have one of the top ten players in the world, international hero Mohamed Salah, on its team.
5. Héctor Cúper hopes the Egyptian team will at least get to the quarter finals, and we do too!
6. Watch out for the Egyptian player, Amr Warda, who is set to surprise everyone with his skills, after recently winning ‘Footballer of the Year’ award in Greece.
7. Experts say that the top Egyptian players will be Mohamed Salah, Mohamed Elneny and Ahmed Hegazy.
8. At age 45, Essam El Hadary will make history as the oldest player to ever participate in the World Cup.
9. We don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but Egypt’s coach, Héctor Cúper, has rarely won final matches in any tournament…
10. Although we are all so proud Mohamed Salah, eniGma is also rooting for our former cover stars, Ahmed Hegazy, Mohamed El Neny and Ahmed el Mohamady, all thanks to our dear friend, the football agent Mamdouh Eid!